Monday, July 2, 2012

There's a mythical place... very similar to Family Video or Redbox, but instead of renting movies, you can rent BOOKS?!?!  It's a genius idea, really...I mean, who can afford to buy all these amazing new books and devour them all?!  No....that gets expensive.  

I know, it's quite obvious in a "Do you live under a ROCK!?" kind of way.  When we were little and under the tow of my exasperated mom, we would take several trips to the library a week during the summer, and what little of my childhood that wasn't spent outdoors playing in my glorious river (creek bed) and forest (a poor excuse for timber) was spent pouring over books and reading as much as I could.  I participated in "Book It" and won myself several personal pan pizzas from Pizza Hut for my efforts.  I even dreamt of becoming a librarian myself, teaching poor kids how to read from the back of my library van where I would travel to small towns breathing a breath of fresh air into their imaginations.

But apparently when you go to college, "the library" takes on a new connotation and is no longer a refuge but a source of drudgery and studying.  At least for me it did.  It's not FUN anymore.  So I managed to avoid the library my entire college career and beyond.

Until today.

What's got me all fired up about the library again is that I've realized I can borrow books on my Kindle!!  All those books on my wishlist at Amazon just begging to be bought can now be borrowed and returned when I finish them!  My pocketbook is ecstatic.  And what's not to love about having several dozen books within grasp, ready for that moment when they can be chosen during a period of waiting for an appointment or right before bed, or if I happen to be at a ridiculously catching climax, at a long stop light.

I thought I had been a reading fiend this year, averaging 2 books a month (ish).  Well....Ames Public Library?  Game on, my friend.  Game on.

No comments:

Post a Comment