Saturday, August 14, 2010

Flood of '10

"Water, water everywhere, and not a drop to drink. Literally." -Katie

Tis true. Ames had (last I heard) 8 water main breaks and water levels plummeted to dangerous levels. We're advised to not flush the toilets, take less than 5 minute showers, not do laundry, and boil water if we want to wash dishes, cook, drink, and any other necessary water uses.

It's shocking how priorities change when you don't have clean drinking water. I have given up trying to drink half my body weight in ounces, I have showered far less than I am comfortable with, and I feel horrible about pouring water out of my pasta after it's been cooked.

I was asked to help move a friend out of her flooded apartment this morning. I had already made plans, but I begrudgingly thought, "Fiiine. I'll go be a good Christian...." (totally contradicting what a good Christian should do?) As I rode my bike there, I passed a church that was passing out free water.

Uh oh...

It seems absurd to me to be battling over whether or not I should stop for free water. I rode my bike in circles for at least a minute trying to decide whether I should bail on the friend for free water (clean water!) or whether I should keep moving forward. I'm so THIRSTY!!! And it's 3 gallons!! That's a lot of water!

I ended up leaving the free (clean) water, crashed my bike on the way to the friend's, and once I got there, found out they had already finished moving her. Soooo....I went back and got the water. Win win win. Except for the bloody knee. THAT I WASHED WITH THE FREE CLEAN WATER!!!


1 comment:

  1. I'm really impressed by the work of Living Water International. They provide clean drinking water in a sustainable way to thousands (maybe millions, but I'm not sure) around the world and tell them about Jesus at the same time. http://www.water.cc/

    ReplyDelete