Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Man, I love cheese.

So our family group (Bible study for international students) is going well, but not as well as I would prefer. We've talked about who God is, His characteristics, what Jesus did and who He is, and everyone seems to have a good grasp of it. They're understanding and forming their own (sometimes very difficult) questions to better understand what's going on. But there's a huge gap between making the jump from head knowledge to heart knowledge. I almost wonder if this feels more like a class where you're learning new philosophy, and not about the God who can change your life.

A huge thing I've picked up in Theology of the Gospel is that the depravity and sinfullness of man MUST be explained! The international students see no need to be saved if they don't realize that they need to be saved from something. We posed the question, "Do you think man is overall good, or do you think all men are evil?" Only one out of 10 internationals said man is evil. They have no concept that they've sinned against God and need to be saved.

In two weeks, I'll be doing the lesson, and I think I want to take this on. It's something I've been convicted about through the past few weeks, and I feel like it really needs to be said. So PLEASE, be praying for me. I'm way intimidated (I don't feel that I'm eloquent or have the gift of evangelism, but then again, neither did Paul) and I want to share this critical part of the Gospel in love. By the by, I'm glad I have 2 weeks to do this. :)

In other news, I'm finally being faced with the big decisions that I knew would inevitably come. Do I leave Ames for what appears to be the perfect job? Or do I hold out in hope that God will provide me a job here? The biggest concern I have is my spiritual life. I feel like I still have far to grow with my walk with God and I KNOW Cornerstone will continue to push me and challenge me. I don't have that assurance in Denison. I also don't have the strong spiritual support of a group of women who know me and where I struggle and know how to encourage me.

So tough.

Any advice on either matter would be much appreciated. Honestly.

3 comments:

  1. i had just found a group of girls i loved, a great connection group, was planning on getting more involved with cornerstone, and paige had atticus when i left for sioux falls.

    i wanted to come back more than i wanted to stay.

    but now i have an amazing job, a good man, and i'm starting to get involved in a good church.

    it took time, but things aren't always as black and white as it seems. (one being a better location.)

    God can always call you to places and have you return shortly. i mean, i moved back and forth from sioux falls to ames like nine times.

    i don't have much for advice, but the worst case scenario would be that you move back. which wouldn't be so bad. that's just a hassle more than anything :) and cedar rapids is home territory for me, it's really a nice place.

    just pray about it and trust the holy spirit's guidance. :) that's all the advice i can give.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wait. denison?
    i thought you were going to cedar rapids?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the "you can always move back" mentality. Give the job a try - give it a year. Denison is only 2.5 hrs from Ames - Easy to visit still even make day trips if necessary. And you'll be 1.5 hrs from he Omaha Zoo! Yay Zoo! Your friends are a phone call away and better come visit and go to the zoo with you!

    ReplyDelete