Sunday, November 29, 2009

I think someone's confused...

New Huffy Disney Princess Bike Commercial:

Girl 1: "Where's the prince?!"
Girl 2: "He's stranded in the castle! We have to save him!"
Both, throwing fists into the air: "Princess to the rescue!!"
Enter heroic music: Girls save Prince Teddy Bear
Girl 1: "The prince is safe now!"
Both: "Time for another adventure!"

At what point did princesses begin saving princes? And since when did princes start getting stranded in the castle and unable to get out? Are our princes so oppressed by princess-led feminist revivals that they can no longer defend themselves? Or do our princesses feel that they cannot trust their princes to take care of themselves?

I'm just kind of in awe of the whole thing. Never before has a commercial gotten me to think so long after it aired. (Currently, probably 4 hours ago) Don't the Huffy marketers know that the prince saves the princess, not usually the other way around? Or are they picking up on some trend in society that the woman needs to 'save' the man and are subliminally teaching 'our' children this? (I say subliminal because the two people I showed this to didn't even notice the dialog behind the advertisement)

Putting 'prince saving' behind, I would think that the background music would match more of a princess theme, not 'knights storming the castle' theme. So at the end of the commercial, when the announcer says, "With Disney Princess bikes, every girl's a princess!", I fully expect to hear "hero" instead of "princess", based off the music.

Maybe I'm going too far with this. Maybe I need to actually put my thinking behind the multitude of assignments and exams that I DIDN'T do this past week. But this commercial thoroughly bothers me. Gender remodeling at it's finest.

(To see the commercial: http://www.huffy.com/Default.aspx and click on "see our new commercial" at the bottom left)

No comments:

Post a Comment