Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Sick Candle Food

Yep, it's that time again. When my productive hacking cough could compete with a 60 year old experienced smoker's and the melodic sounds of sniffles and blows fills the silence of my sick/snow day (or sick of snow day), you know it's cold season. And lucky me, I'm down to 5 kleenexes left! Sometime soon, I'll have to venture my way outside and brave the cold and several inches of fresh snow to get to the store. Oh, but the prize will be so worth it....VICKS VAPOR KLEENEXES!! Yesss...those amazing things could clear out your sinuses immediately! Someone in my family has been known to stuff them up her nose, just to get the maximum affect of the vicks vapors. Hmm...I cannot wait!

In case you hadn't noticed (which I'm assuming you didn't), I added something else to my list of 2010 goals over ther. <-- I bought a 70 hour candle, and by end of May (or hopefully sooner), I want to have used up the entire candle. It's a way for me to keep track of my prayer life and a reminder to myself to have that one on one time with my God. I'm not by any means saying you need to light a candle when you pray; it's just a tangible way for me to see a goal being met - being more diligent about being in prayer.

Let's see.... work's good, I've been more disciplined about staying on my schedule and setting aside that time for God each day. It's surprising too - when I have a schedule and different things I need to have done each day, there's less time for facebook and hanging out with my email 24-7. Who knew?! But I'm seeing more and more that I don't need those things and they've become a distraction (I always knew this in my head, but I didn't realize how bad it was until now). So for the lent season, I'll be giving up all internet related things with the exception of email and blogspot. No online tv shows (which means no tv shows period, since I don't ever watch them on the actual television anyway), no facebook, no online comics or MLIA. I don't NEED any of that stuff, and my time is better spent becoming a more disciplined person. Chuck, Community, House, and The Office do nothing to help me grow as a person, but continuing to practice cooking different things, organizing my life better, and setting aside more time for God most definitely will!

And speaking of cooking... I spent all weekend in the kitchen (at least it felt like it...)
-Friday, I made Sarah Owen's Enchilada Soup and tried my hand at making steak and green pepper stir-fry. The soup was great, the stir-fry was not. Meh
-Saturday, I made LisaGrace's Chicken Alfredo Pizza - it was so good! And everything was from scratch, so it made it all the better!
-Sunday, after spending all day at church(s), I came home and made Cheesy Spinach and Bacon dip for the Super Bowl Party at Todd's. The only reason it wasn't all gone at the end of the game was because we ran out of chips. =D
-Monday, I made Paige's Chicken Tacos. It's totally uncharacteristic of what typical tacos are, but they were amazing! Everyone ate until they couldn't eat one more bite! The guacamole I made with it was pretty fantastic too.

Overall, a VERY successful weekend of cooking! It was really encouraging to see that I can not only make edible food, but really good meals too! (with the exception of the stir-fry...still not sure what was wrong there...)

This afternoon, I'll be making cookies for Kyle, who said he'd change my brake pads tomorrow. Gotta love a friend who'll do car work for you in exchange for cookies!

No comments:

Post a Comment