Saturday, February 26, 2011

Conviction

Today, I wasn't so sure I wanted to go to church. Honestly. And it's all because of last week's message.

Did any other Cornerstoners get the sucker-punch in the gut from that message?

Philippians 2:14-18. I know you know it.... "Do everything without grumbling and arguing, so that you may be blameless and pure, children of God who are faultless in a crooked and perverted generation, among whom you shine like stars in the world..."

It's so simple, but seriously, how often do we follow it? I don't consider myself a terrible grumbler and complainer (flashback to the woman at Block who, after complaining for 5+ minutes about how she's be treated unfairly by employers, says anyone who knows her knows she's not a complainer...), but I do have my moments, I know. I justify it by saying I need to "rant" about something that's bothering me.

Why can't I just let it go? Why must I speak about it, as if saying it out loud somehow justifies how I've been wronged? Or, to take it one step further, why do I meditate on it and ruminate over each situation where my rights to comfort and pleasure have been pushed aside?

To my credit (which we all know, totally counts because God's keeping a little tally book up in heaven for each of us), I've kept my tongue much better this week. But still. Someone doesn't take me seriously enough, and I immediately start looking for a willing victim to unleash my barely-lethal-but-really-annoying venom on. Ugh... I can't imagine how detestable that noise is to God. He gave us everything when we deserved nothing. No, more than nothing, we deserved hell, but now we have LIFE.

Please just tell me to shut up next time I start going off. Please. I mean that 100%.

Btw, I did go to church and was challenged deeply once again. ~sigh~ At least this week it's not going to be about sin issues....

2 comments:

  1. You were challenged to not spill my girlfriend's coffee all over everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to admit, we had the best smelling aisle in the whole church.

    ReplyDelete