Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Such a waste....

One of the most irritating things for me is buying a food item that I need for a certain recipe with full knowledge that I won't be able to use it all before it goes bad. I hate wasting the money and food item!

For instance...milk. I cannot buy a gallon of milk (or a quart for that matter) and use it all before it goes bad. I hate drinking it, so I only use it for cooking, and therefore, it usually goes bad before I use it all. Solution? Almond milk. It's thicker/creamier and yummy and lasts MUCH longer!! And since I use it for cooking, it's generally not noticeable that I didn't use the real thing. Win win win.

But one thing I couldn't get past? Cilantro. Usually when I'm making a recipe, I only need one tablespoon at a time, and whaddaya know....cilantro doesn't come in 1 tbsp increments. Nope, gotta buy the whole bag and hope a lot goes a little ways. (hint, it doesn't usually)

But my friend Paige? She's a genius. Look at what she does!

It freezes!!! Loooooove it!! Guess who's no longer wasting herbs?! A tablespoon fits in each little cube in the ice-cube tray and after about 2 tablespoons of water in each one, it's ready to freeze!! Gah, I'm so excited about this! Sure, it's just $2 I'm not wasting...but that's a tea at Cafe Diem that I can have now!!! Whoop!

Also, with the insane blizzard that we had here, I came home early and got a bunch done, including laundry. When I went downstairs to finish my last load, I found that our washer had moved here:


...when it used to be here:
Whoops!! Guess I should have balanced it out a little better in there... And it's a really good thing our hoses are so long and flexible!! That sucker must have been moving because it was AT LEAST a foot and a half further away from the dryer than it should have been. Yikes...

Disclaimer....our washer/dryer are in the basement and I swear, it doesn't actually look this gross down there. Also, don't look too close at the laundry coming out of the dryer. Just in case.

1 comment:

  1. bahaha. the dryer looks like it's throwing up.
    BLAAHAHHHAHHGHGHHGHGHGHHGHGHGHGHGH.

    ReplyDelete